What should I do if my ex-girlfriend filed a report against me saying that I assaulted her sexually and physically?

I slapped her once when I found out that she cheated on me. I have never committed a crime or done anything wrong, and I’m extremely worried what will happen. She also called the cops when I came to collect 3 gifts I had given her. She saw my car and didn’t confront me. She spoke to an officer told him that she and I had no relationship. Will I be arrested?

Asked on August 22, 2014 under Criminal Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You may be arrested--it depends on what exactly she told the police (e.g., did she say you raped her? threatened her life?), on whether she was credible (did they believe her), and whether she then recanted or took back anything she said. Certainly, if she accused you of serious sexual or other assault and the police believed her, there is a realistic chance you would be arrested. You should speak with a criminal defense attorney *now* so that you have one you  trust, prepared and ready to help you if the worst does come to pass.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.