What to do if my ex-father-in-law had purchased a car for me 6 years ago for $7500?

For insurance purposes because of where he lived, we had the car titled in both of our names. Then 5 years ago, he was released from his job and then fell ill a year later. He passed away 2 years ago. A year earlier, I was awarded the car in the divorce from his daughter. We had not had his name removed and I am wanting to sell the car. My ex-wife is the executor of his estate (which is in probate) and has no problem signing the vehicle over to me. My question is if she does sign the vehicle over to me, can the state come after her as not listing it as an asset even though he purchased it as a gift for me?

Asked on January 7, 2013 under Estate Planning, Wisconsin


Catherine Blackburn / Blackburn Law Firm

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Good grief, how complicated this has become.  Your ex-wife should ask her probate lawyer about this.  It sounds like she is merely completing a transaction that should have been completed years ago.  This is well within her authority as executor, but it should be done properly with the reasons documented and disclosed to the court.  I don't think the court will have any objection to this transfer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.