What can I so if my ex-employer owes me $560 and refuses to pay me?

What can I do to collect my money?

Asked on January 27, 2013 under Employment Labor Law, Louisiana


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

As an ex-employee, you have a legal right to be paid for the work that you performed. If you are not paid, then you may sue your former employer to recover all sums owed. Additionally, you could contact your satte's department of labor to file a complaint.

Note: If you ex-employer is withholding your wages due to some money that you may owe them or the like, they may only do so with your consent. Otherwise they will have to sue you for it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.