If my ex decided to move with the kids out of state and our divorce decree does not limit moves, can I agree to the move on a temporary basis?

Can we calculate the child support using the internet calculators or do we have to have the court involved? I have been paying her directly without CS services, etc.On top on my annual income, I can potentially get paid more over the summer, but with no guarantee. Should we use the guaranteed income in the calculations and pay more support over the summer based on the actual amount I get that year?

Asked on June 24, 2012 under Family Law, Virginia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

What ever you and your ex decide to do is up to you and so long as the rights of the kids are not compromised (i.e., reducing the support award below what the law requires) then the court will not really interfere.  However, I would STRONGLY suggest that you seek to modify the agreement with an attorney and in writing.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.