My ex boyfriend n I are both on mortgage

We both are on mortgage,he got mad
because I dumped him.. I’m purchase
he’s cosigner he took me to court and
had court ordered auction property
didn’t sale it’s still active joint
account all my stuff and my kids stuff
are still inside home he has changed
locks on doors I can’t get inside my
kids n I are staying W a friend.. I
just got a new place and he tells me
I’m not allowed bk in. He has nvr lived
there and all bills are in my name.what
can I do?

Asked on March 23, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Alabama


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Ok so what he did was start an action for partition to ask the court to divide and/or sell the property, correct?  But I need to ask: are you both on the deed as well?  If so, then you have just as much of a right to be in the property as he does so long as the court did not order you out. So the locks he changed - illegal. And if the court ordered you out I would be very surprised to hear.  I think you need to seek legal counsel here.  Call you local Bar Association and see if they have a referral service.  Even if you go for a free consultation.  Good luck.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.