If my ex-boyfriend and I had a car together in both our names and we used that car as a trade-in to purchase a new car that is in my name only, do I legally owe him money?

He is claiming that I owe him money for my car.

Asked on February 9, 2016 under Business Law, West Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

It depends on what the agreement between you was: it would be legal for the agreement to be that after using the car as the trade-in, you would pay him some share of its value (or even share of the new car's value); and it would also be legal for him to have gifted his interest in the older car to you, so that you could sue it for a trade-in without any obligation to him. 
If there was nothing in writing recording what the agreement was and you and he disagree, if he feels you owe him money, he could sue you; you and he will each tell your stories to the court, and the court will decide who is right and who is wrong.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.