What are my rights if my ex-boss told me that if I ever talked to his boss about what he did on the job he would cut my hours and make sure I starve?

There were no witnesses (he was smart about it) but I did tell his boss what he said to me. She did not fire him. He would give me intimidating looks (he was a very large man) and I decided that I could no longer work there so I quit. Is there anything that can be done? I don’t want anyone going through what I went through.

Asked on July 20, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

It depends--what did he do on the job? If it was sexual harassment, then you may have a claim for compensation for sexual harassment and should contact the state equal/civil rights agency or the federal EEOC. Similarly, if it was discrimination against you or another person due to a protected characteristic, like race, sex, age over 40, disability, or religion, there may be a claim for discrimination or retaliation for reporting discrimination, and again, speak with the civil/equal rights agency or EEOC. If it was a criminal act (e.g. stealing) or violating safety regulations, then you may be protected as a whistleblower against retaliation and may have a claim: speak with an employment law attorney about the situation.

Howeer, if was just that the ex-boss was highly abusive to people, or unqualified, or spent time he should have been working surfing the web, or wasn't at work the hours he claimed he was, or did work for someone else or his own business while at work, etc., then while all that behavior is highly inappropriate, there is no legal protection against it--a supervisor may do any of these things (or generally be unqualified, lazy, a bad supervisor, rude, etc.). In these cases, the company could legitimately refuse to take action; he could threaten to fire you for going over his head; and you would not have any claim to compensation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.