If my ex borrowed my debit card to “cash a check” and all of a sudden I owe the bank nearly $300, what can I do?

I let an (ex) friend of mine borrow my debit card because he said he needed to cash a check; I actually did not have any money in the account. A few days later, my account was negative a few hundred dollars. Apparently (according to a friend of his), he pulled some kind of scam at the ATM. This happened in approximately 6 months ago and I didn’t tell anyone about it because I wasn’t sure if it was my fault since I gave him the card. Do I have a legal case against him?

Asked on December 14, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If a former friend used your debit card to cash a check resulting in a situation that you owe your bank nearly $300.00, he defrauded you and your bank. I would consult with the bank's manager over what happened where you ultimately are responsible for making things good with your bank since you made the loan of the debit card.

You have a case against your former friend in small claims court. in the future, do not loan out your debit card to anyone.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.