If my ex and I are divorced after 22 years of marriage, does he have a right to enter the house at any time or can I request he return the house key until we sell?

He is paying the house payment in lieu of child support for 5 years. Both of our names are on all paperwork for the house as well as the loan.

Asked on July 26, 2015 under Family Law, Missouri


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If you both are still owners of the house, he has the exact same rights that you do to enter, use, live in, etc. the house, except and only to the extent that the divorce decree or order prevents him from doing this. Otherwise, if the divorce does not bar him, then yes, he may do this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.