What to do if my estranged child left the US years ago with no plans of returning and abandonwd a student loan debt?

My estranged child left the US approximately 2 years ago, with no (current) plans of returning, abandoning roughly 15K in outstanding student loan debt. Our phone has rung off the hook continually for the last year. I have infrequent contact with this child and always recommend resolving but have concluded it’s a lost cause. Will this ever go away and what is the exposure long-term? Is there any statute of limitations so I might start answering my phone again? I don’t even bother at this point as it’s not my obligation and I’m tired of dealing with it. I am not a co-signer.

Asked on July 28, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Minnesota


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Since you are not the co-signer of the student loan of your estranged child but are tired of the calls from debt collection companies for unpaid money, you have the following options:

1. tell and write the debt collection representative to not call you any more. Keep a copy of the letter for future use and need.

2. change your telephone number.

The statute if limitations for breach of a written contract ordinarily is four (4) years from the date of the breach.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.