What can I do if my employer’s building burned 1 month ago and my tools were destroyed?

He told me that his policy covered my tools and any of my contents. The insurance company ruled the fire arson, so now they will refuse to pay. Do I have any legal action that I can pursue to get compansated for my loss? Right now I am at rock bottom.

Asked on September 16, 2014 under Employment Labor Law, Alabama


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If the insurer will not pay, your only real recourse would be to sue someone (e.g. your employer) who you feel was at fault in causing the fire due either to negligence (carelessness) or an intentional act (such as arson); the only way to get compensation when there is no insurance available is to sue a person who would be at fault and therefore liable.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.