How to stop a rental agency from advertising your property?

My employer used to utilize a vacation rental company to rent his rental properties. He has since chosen to rent them in-house without use of a third party. However, the company has continued to advertise his properties on their website and has refused to remove them. They can no longer be reserved by customers online but there is nothing else to indicate the company no longer represents these properties. It is leading our customers to believe the properties are completely booked or otherwise unavailable. What legal options are available to have them remove these properties?

Asked on November 2, 2012 under Real Estate Law, North Carolina


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

This is really odd that a company would continue to advertise for client who has terminated the relationship.... regardless... your employer has a couple of options.  First option is simple and direct--- hire an attorney to mail the ad agency a simple "cease and desist" letter.  Sometimes just the letterhead and threat of a lawsuit will accomplish the end goal.

If this does not work, then your employer should file a suit for injunctive relief and a restraining order to prevent the ad agency from listing your employer's properties.  Since people are not renting because potential clients think the properties are occupied, he would also be able to ask for damages associated with the suit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.