What can I do if my employer stop scheduling me to come in to work but has not officially let me go?

I have been working full-time for years at my place of employment. Recent management changes have occured and I suspect my employers would prefer that I submit my resignation. They have not scheduled me to work but they have not fired me, either. I would like to move on and would like help with unemployment benefits but can’s until I’m officially terminated. What can I do? What are my options?

Asked on July 14, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

First of all, I'll assume that you have done nothing to warrant this lack of hours. That being the case, if you have proof that you were not scheduled, then although you may not have been formally terminated you may be condsidered to be "constructively discharged". In fact, some states have enacted laws that allow you to file for unemployment even if you are scheduled to work but when your hours have been severely.

So, go ahead and file a claim; if need to you may need to further explain your situation and show them the proof that you have regarding not being scheduled. If your employer tries to object, then you can fight it (and hopefully win). The fact is that filing may just be enough to "encourage" them to place you back on the schedule for regular hours.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.