What are my rights if my employer requires us to be on call 12 days on 2 days off, and while on call we cannot be more that 30 miles from the yard and cannot drink at all during those 12 days?

Is it legal for them to require this of us? We cannot go about normal life like going to dinner, birthday parties or visit family member that live more than 30 miles away. When first hired we signed a letter of agreement that we would be paid 40 hours a week minimum and just recently my employer has taken that away. We cannot have another hob during those 12 days to make up for the time we are not going to get paid for and risk being terminated if it is found that we are seeking other employment. My co-workers and I want to know if this is legal and what if anything we can do about?

Asked on October 9, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Yes, it is legal while there obviously is an impact on or restriction on your life, you can go about most of normal life--any chores, family events, recreation, etc. that is within a 30-mile radius, which is a considerable radius. The restriction you describe is not sufficiently restrictive so as to require you to get extra pay for being on call and an employer has a right to put terms and conditions on work, such as the conditions you describe. Your employer can require this of you, and does not have to pay you extra for it. Your recourse is to seek other employment, if you don't like the working conditions of this job.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.