My Employer is trying to make me pay for damages to a customers fence gate

I work for a landscape company and while on a customers property I backed into a
fence gate and now my boss said I have to pay for the gate. He gave me a
christmas bonus and told me to go cash it and bring him back the money to pay for
the gate. Do I have to pay for this, is this legal.

Asked on December 28, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Georgia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

GA does not have any laws that identify what voluntary deductions can be made from an employee's paycheck. Furhter, state law does not specifically require that a worker needs to provide written consent prior to any deduction being made. However, federal law prohibits an employer from making deductions to the degree that it causes the employee to receive less than 30 times federal minimum wage for any week of the period for which the deduction was made. That having been said, since the money is coming from a bonus, this latter requirement doesn't apply. Bottom line, your employer's action is legal (absent any union agreement or employment contract to the contrary).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.