What to do if our employer is holding our paychecks?

They have done this several times and they will give you a bad check that bounces and causes overdraft. What can we do to get our money and make him stop doing this? This is not the first time he has done this and we don’t get a reason why just told that they won’t be released. No one from home office will answer our calls.

Asked on September 4, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Alabama


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If your employer has been holding your paychecks which from time to time fail to clear, your employer has a problem in getting his or her employees paid. I suggest that you consult with a labor attorney about your situation and/or make a complaint with your local department of labor.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.