What can I do if my employer is garnishing wages from my check for child support but has not sent in all payments?

The OAG is aware of the problem but are unable to get a response from him.

Asked on November 24, 2015 under Family Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

As a general commentary, you are not alone.  I've seen a large number of complaints similar to yours regarding the Child Support Unit of the AG.... their customer service appears to have significantly declined over the last few months... for unknown reasons.  Not that it makes you feel better.... but understand that it may or may not be a simple fix depending on their ability to be responsive.
It should be a simple fix.  The AG should simply threaten your employer with action if they continue to withhold funds.  Ideally, that's how it should work. 
If the AG continues with their recent patter of "not getting it done," you and your ex- may have to take action on your own.  A simple remedy would be for the two of you to agree to an order terminating the garnishment order that your employer received-- thereby permitting you to make payments online or via mail directly to the AG.  This will cut the employer out of the middle and your child will get the support they need.  Bother are relatively easy documents to draft and easy to walk through if both parties are in agreement. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.