If my elderly father recently passed and I was POA on his checking account but now the account has been froze, how can I get this money?

They will not release it to me and I need to pay funeral costs,

Asked on July 19, 2012 under Estate Planning, Missouri


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  A POA dies with the person for whom it is encated so it is no longer valid.  What you need to do is to be appointed as the persoanl representative of your father's estate by filing a petition in the probate court in the county in which he resided at the time of his death.  If he has only the bank account your state probably has a small estate proceeding that you can do.  Once appointed you can get the funds transferred in to an estate account and pay the bills.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.