My elderly mother is ill and may have to go a nursing home.The house I grew up in is in her name.Could the nusring home take the house from her?

If so,should I have the house,or title,put under my name and that of my siblings?

Asked on May 24, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Massachusetts


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Transferring the house now will probably not do any good.  If she applies for Medicaid, there will be a 36-month "look-back" for any property that was given away or sold for less than fair market value, to get her net worth under the $2,000 maximum to be eligible for Medicaid.

It would be a good idea to talk to a lawyer who has experience in elder law issues, before you do anything with the house.  One place to find qualifid attorneys is our website,

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.