What to do if my elderly mother had a Will, Trust and medical directives completed by an attorney in the state in which she resided but she now lives with me in another state?

Due to health issues she is living with me. Her house has been sold. Everything she owns is here. Being that my sister and myself are on her bank accounts is it necessary to re-do everything here? When the time comes mother’s meager funds would be used for a funeral; the rest split according to her wishes.

Asked on November 12, 2015 under Estate Planning, Michigan


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If the documents were valid in the state in which they were drafted they should be valid in your state. That having been said, you may want to consult with a local attorney and see what, if any changes, they recommend be made for ease of administering the estate when the time comes. Also, updates may be advisable to these documents based on changes in your mother's life circumstances since the time they were originally executed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.