If my elderly dad added my sister to his bank account and she took money without permission, can he press charges against her?

My dad added my sister to help him is he ever needed for her to pay something for him. Not to help herself to the only money he had to live off of. She works at the court house and my father at home doing side jobs, because he kept running out of money. We could never understand why he never had money, but never did we think our oldest sister was responsible. If it wasn’t for one of my sisters stealing a check and forging it (keep in mind she too is on probation for forging) would we ever find out she was doing this to him.

Asked on July 9, 2012 under Criminal Law, Texas


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Because your father added your sister to his bank account, it will be very difficult to prove that your sister embezzled this money from the account. Embezzlement is where a person converts monies from an account they had possession over, but was not legally entitled to take the monies from the account, i.e. an accountant. With a personal bank account, so long as your father legally added you sister to the account through all the proper channels with the bank, she is entitled to withdraw and deposit monies from that account just as you father would, and does not need you father's express authorization to do so. You can contact the police to see what type of charges can be filed, but I doubt if you will be successful in seeking a criminal prosecution in this matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.