Is it medical malpractice if my doctor gave me medicine for high blood pressure but don’t have it and the medicine made me sick?

Apparently I have never had high blood pressure (in fact after being taken off of the pills it returned to normal). However, the medicine that I was put on caused my blood pressure to drop low and I was in the hospital because I was always having chest pains. I was diagnosed with acid reflux and the cause of the drop in my blood pressure was caused by the pills that my doctor put me on. I was told by 2 doctors never to take the pills again and that I should’ve never been put on them. I was very weak and light-headed and spent 5 days in the hospital. My doctor told me he put me on pills due to anxiety. Is that medical malpractice?

Asked on September 25, 2014 under Malpractice Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

It may be medical malpractice, since medical malpractice is  medical care that is careless--like prescribing blood pressure medicine for someone without high blood pressure. However, it may not be worth suing over: if you suffered for only around 5 days, you would not get any "pain and suffering," so all you could recover is your out-of-pocket (not paid by insurance) medical costs and lost wages (if any). However, medical malpractice suits can be very expensive--you need to hire a medical expert of your own--which means that unless the bills you paid are very high, it's not likely worthwhile to sue.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.