If my domestic partner and I purchased property together as 50/50 ownership, can I sell my share without my partner’s permission?

The relationship is failing and I want to know if I can sell my 50% of the property without his permission. The property contains 2 houses and some land. The down payment was $8000. I paid $6500 and he paid $1500. He has made most of the monthly payments while I paid taxes, insurance and all the running expenses of the house. He claims that this arrangement means that he has control over everthing. I would like to know what my rights are.

Asked on July 18, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The key here is how the property is held, and by that I mean look at the deed.  How it reads determines your rights.  If you are simply co-owerns and the deed says nothing more then you are "tenants in common."  If it says "rights of survivorship" then you are joint tenants with survivorship rights.  I am assuming that you are tenants in common.  That generally means that you have the right to do with your share as you wish and if there is no percentage on the deed as to ownereship between you, you own 50%.  Please take your documents to an attorney as soon as you can.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.