If my dog got off their leash and bit another dog, what are the damages?

My sister’s dog got off its leash and attacked another dog. We reported the accident and the officer asked if we got bitten; everyone said no. My mom then offerred to pay for transportation to the vet and for the bill; the officer was present. Also, it wasn’t this woman’s dog; she was taking care of it because her business is dog walking. The vet bill was $784 but she brought other items from the store, like bandages. Her boyfriend then said that he got bitten by one of the dogs. Do we pay his medical bill because our dog started it? Who can sue who?

Asked on July 24, 2012 under Personal Injury, New Jersey


Leigh Anne Timiney / Timiney Law Firm

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You are responsible for any bills asscoiated with any damage your dog may have caused.  That means vet bills for the dog which your dog injured and any person your dog may have injured.  But you are only responsible for bills directly associated with the bite.  With respect to the boyfriend who is now coming forward claiming he was also bit, you  are entitled to request medical records to show his injuries were in fact related to a dog bite and not something else.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.