If my dog chewed the neighbor’s very old rundown fence now they want me to pay for it, do I have too??

We have a fenced in back yard. The back fence is ours and so is the front part however both sides belong to either neighbor. The on side is a very old run down wooden fence. We got a golden retriever puppy back about a year ago and the neighbor’s have a pit bull between the 2 dogs the fence has many broken parts and the neighbor is now coming to us wanting money to fix the fence. Are we liable?? And, if so, how much so?

Asked on July 12, 2012 under Personal Injury, Indiana


Leigh Anne Timiney / Timiney Law Firm

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

It sounds like both your golden retreiver and the neighbor's pit bull are responsible for the damage to the fence.  If your dog has in any way caused damage to another person's property, you are liable for the damage.  It might be difficult to determine how much of the damage has been caused by your dog and how much by their dog.  Unless you can show the majority of the damage has been done by your neighbor's dog, it is likely that a court would divid the costs of replacement of the fence in half and hold you responsible for half.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.