What to do if my doctor “nicked” an artery in my leg while performing a total knee replacement, sending me to a hospital that is not in my insurance network?

This means higher payments. I have a stent in artery and will have for life, meaning medication and future doctor visits. What can I do to get some help paying the bills?

Asked on February 12, 2015 under Malpractice Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can sue the doctor (and/or practice, clinic, hospital, etc.) for malpractice, if--as may well be the case--it was negligent, or unprofessionally careless, to nick the artery while doing that procedure. If the doctor was negligent, you could potentially recover all medical bills, current and future, caused by the act; "pain and suffering" for any future impairment you suffer; lost wages, if you missed work; other out of pocket costs directly attributable to the malpractice. You should consult with a medical malpractice attorney (many provide free initial consultations; you can check on this before making an appointment) about your situation. Bear in mind that even if you have a viable case, they take, typically, years to resolve--you'll have to foot your own bills for awhile.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.