What can I do if my doctor just quit his practice and I was a patient of his for 10 years but cannot be off my medication and his office will not help me?

I am having trouble finding a new doctor. Is there something that can be done legally?

Asked on September 18, 2015 under Malpractice Law, Tennessee


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

No, nothing can be done legally you have no right to force the doctor to stay in practice or keep seeing you as a patient. You can't even force other doctors in his office to see you, if you had not already been a patient of theirs as well. All you can do is try to locate a new doctor. This happens sometimes doctors quit, retire, move away, pass away, etc., sometimes at very inopportune times, and their patients need to find new physicians.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.