What to do if my boss falsified a date on my doctor’s note?

My doctor gave me a note saying I cannot work more that 8 consecutive hours, and did not give me an expiration date on the note. My boss suspended me for refusing mandation, claiming that she called my doctor and he gave her an expiration date for the note over the phone. Is this legal? Can I sue her for anything? My boss is a nurse. Can she lose her license for falsifying the end date on my doctor’s note? If she does it to me, isn’t she likely to do it to residents under her care?

Asked on September 24, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

What you have written with respect to your employer falsifying a date on your treating physician's note is improper under the laws of all states in this country. I suggest that you may want to consult with a labor law attorney and/or a representative with your local department of labor about the matter you have written about to see what legal recourse you may have.

Your employer could be reprimanded by the entity that oversees her professional license in the state she does work in for what she did. As to what your employer may do to others in the future versus what she has done to you would be speculation on my part.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.