If my divorce went into default because I didn’t respond in time, is there anything that I can do?

I don’t think I responded to my divorce papers on time. I sent my response through mail on the 30th but it won’t get to the court until the 4th. I just received a copy from my husband that the court entered a default judgement on the 31st. Is there anything I can do since I did sign and date my response on the 30th? If it’s not, is there’s anything I can do now?

Asked on June 3, 2012 under Family Law, Michigan


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Every state has a procedural law that gives a person the right to "vacate" the default.  You just have to prove certain things like that you were not properly served, etc.  For divorces there may be something more.  You should speak with an attorney in the area about the matter and see procedurally what you need to do.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.