If my divorce states that I am not reponsible for mortgage payments to my ex but I make them anyway, do I have recourse for getting the money back?

My divorce states I am not reponsible for mortgage payments to my ex. If I make them anyway, do I have recourse getting $ back .The house has been deeded to ex, decree states he is 100% responisble for all payments etc. He has a renter on the property and has told me I need to come up with what we are short on the mortgage since my name is still on the loans. I have paid the shortage every month for a year becasue he made me think I needed to as to not affect my credit. DoI have an recourse gettign the money back from him by filing a breachof my divorce decree?

Asked on September 24, 2012 under Family Law, Oregon


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country if you pay a portion of the mortgage shortfall on a loan that you are obligated upon you have an equitable lien on the property that you used to own. As such, your "ex" is responsible to you for the amount and accrued interest that you paid out of pocket.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.