If my divorce is not final and my husband left our house 2 years ago, what do I have to legaly do to get read of his stuff?

Asked on June 28, 2012 under Family Law, California


Cameron Norris, Esq. / Law Office of Gary W. Norris

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You need to make reasonable efforts at returning his items to him.  You are the "bailee" and need to take care of his stuff in the meantime.  If you don't have room for his items, you can store his stuff in a storage facility and demand he pay you back the fee for storing his items.  I'm sure exactly why your divorce isn't finalized if he left the house 2 years ago.

Best of luck.

Cameron Norris, Esq.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.