If my dissolution will be final and my husband is supposed to purchase the home from me but he has not done this, since it is in my name only can I take it back?

I purchased our home before we were married but we both renovated it and moved in together. The deed, loan, property taxes are in my name only. It has been 2 months since we have seperated and he has made no attempt to get a loan to purchase the home from me and pay me some of the equity from it. He has given me the house payments since he has been there alone and it is auto withdrawn from my checking. After the dissolution is final and the home is still in my name only can I take my home back since he obviously has no intention of purchasing it? Do I owe him money since he helped renovate?

Asked on July 20, 2012 under Family Law, Ohio


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Do you have an attorney here because it is time to get one asap.  If the divorce is not final I would take steps NOW to rectify the situation.  If you have entered in to a marital agreement and the court has so ordered it you can not act on your own here and you need to figure this out asap becuse you will be left holding the bag.  Get help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.