What to do if on a recent visit my dentist performed a lot of tests on me that have nothing to do with my teeth and now I’m in pain?

He then performed a cold laser treatment on my neck. Now I’m in constant pain and have very limited movement in my neck; it pops every time I turn my head. What should I do?

Asked on October 15, 2014 under Malpractice Law, Kentucky


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If the dentist caused you pain through negligence (carelessness) or otherwise through malpractice (medical care that does not meet current accepted standards for care), such as by administering unnecessary tests or tests/procedures that fall outside his speciality, then he could be liable for the medical costs (such as to correct the problem) you thereby incur as well as, if you have suffered serious life impairment for weeks or longer, possibly an award for your "pain and suffering." At present, it sounds like you don't know exactly what happened to you, how it can be corrected, what it will take to correct it, the cost to correct it, etc.; your first step is to seek the medical care which you seem to need anyway and, at that point, you'll have a sense for the potential claim or cause of action you may have. After doing that, you would then speak with a medical malpractice attorney to evaluate your claim.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.