If my daughter’s mother has just become engaged to a registered sex offender, can I get an order of protection to keep this predator away from my child?

Asked on March 15, 2012 under Family Law, New York


Richard Southard / Law Office of Richard Southard

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I would try to find out information on what the terms of his conditions are.  Some offenders are ordered to stay away from children so this could be a violation. If he's permitted to be near children and hasn't done anything improper towards your child, it will be an uphill pattle to get one.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.