If my daughter’s father is now trying to take her away from me but he hasn’t wanted anything to do with her in almost 5 years, is there anything I can do?

Asked on September 24, 2012 under Family Law, Michigan


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Yes, file an answer to the suit and allege abandonment (physically and emotionally) on his part, as a basis for restricted visitations or termination of his parental rights.  He is dad and does have the right to be involved in his child's life, but considering the length of absence, he has forfeited some of the usual priviledges of parenthood and visitation rights.  Use them to make sure that your daughter is protected emotionally and physically from a person who has essentially been a stranger in her life.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.