My daughter who lives in another state just got a pitbull puppy. If when the dog grows up it bites someone, can my wife and I be attached in a lawsuit

My wife and I are providing help with tuition and living expenses to our 19 year old daughter.

Asked on June 5, 2009 under Personal Injury, California


L.M., Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

No, your daughter is an adult under the law for most purposes at 18, and even though you are helping her with her expenses, she is legally responsible for her own actions.  In California, if your dog bites someone, you are "strictly liable" for their damages, meaning that no negligence on your part needs to be proven and the dog need not have bitten anyone before.  I would suggest you encourage your daughter to get some puppy training as soon as the dog is old enough (around 12 weeks).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.