What to do if my daughter, who has her learners permit, backed into a parked car in a parking lot but sine we didn’t see any damage we left?

Today I got a letter from police hit skip department saying my car was involved in a traffic accident. What will happen to me and my daughter. Will we have to go to court?

Asked on November 15, 2013 under Accident Law, Ohio


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Your daughter will probably be charged with a hit-and-run, but given the situation, she should be able to plead it down to a lesser offense.  Your insurance will have to pay to fix whatever is wrong with the other car.  it is unclear how the owner of the other car and/or the police knew your daughter was involved in the accident.  You will likely have to go to court, but your daughter should get off with some sort of probation.  You may want to hire a criminal defense attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.