If my daughter was with her dad for summer visitation and she was in a 4-wheeler accident that resulted in a broken shoulder, whose insurer should pay?

I am required to pay for the first $1000 of medical expenses per a court ruling. I do not feel that I should have to pay medical expenses for an accident that occurred on his vehicle. She had to have surgery and the bills will be substantial. Can these medical bills be turned in on his home owners policy and how do I handle this since my ex and I do not get along?

Asked on June 2, 2012 under Family Law, Indiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If your daughter is on a medical insurance policy then her insurer should cover the medical bills that she incurred as a result of the brokern shoulder. As to liability for her injuries due to some negligence of some third person, I cannot comment on such issue given the limited fact pattern that you have written about and how the accident happened.

I doubt that your home owner's policy will cover the accident that you are writing about since it did not occur at your home. If the accident happened on your "ex's" vehicle, and assuming it was insured for medical coverage, that policy would apply to your daughter's injury.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.