What to do if what was supposed to be an hour long “procedure” turned into a 3 hour long surgery due to someone’s negligence?

My daughter had arthroscopic surgery to remove 2 screws from her knee. The surgeon broke the tip off of the screwdriver and sheared the head off of the screw. A nurse told me that the instruments are autoclaved and because of that, sometimes wear out but that the person responsible for autoclaving the instruments is required to make sure they are solid. Do I have a case?

Asked on January 15, 2013 under Malpractice Law, Minnesota


Matthew Majeski / Majeski Law, LLC

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

It sounds like you may.  I would consult with a Minnesota personal injury attorney right away.  I do not work in that area, however often personal injury attorneys will take a case on a contingency fee basis if they feel there's a reasonable possibility of recovery.

Tricia Dwyer / Tricia Dwyer Esq & Associates PLLC

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Hello. I am sorry to learn of your daughter's (and your) regretful and distressing experience.  I recommend that with no delay you contact an attorney about this matter.  I myself would discuss the matter with you in further detail.  I recommend that you phone several attorneys in choosing because it is very important that you feel a sense of great trust with the attorney you select to help you at this time. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.