What is myliability if my daughter was involved in an auo accident and my name is on the title as “or” and she is on my insurance?.

We have comprehensive, collision and PIP but no bodily injury. I have just received a financial affidavit from the other person’s attorney, along with 15 days to respond. What am I required to fill out? Also, to what point can they go after us.

Asked on July 1, 2014 under Accident Law, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

While you may not have coverage for the bodily injury claim, please make sure that you contact your insurance company and advise them of the accident.  And see if they will defend - if not indemnify - you in the claim.  You need an attorney. If your daughter is under your policy and lives in your house you have exposure in the suit. The problem you have is that the law in the State of Florida makes you responsible for injuries and aggravations caused by the accident. Get help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.