My daughter was in a car accident on 08-14-2008 is it to late for me to file a small claims case against them.

This is a intersection accident where each party driving claims the other person ran the red light. My daughter has a witness but the police say the fact that we know her (25 years ago) does not maker her a credible witness. What they are offering to pay will not come close to paying for the damages to our vehicle, our insurance company has already denied his claim. Is it to late for me to file a small claims case against this insured.

Asked on May 26, 2009 under Accident Law, Colorado


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I'm not a Colorado lawyer, but I am pretty sure that you would have at least a year after the accident to sue.  In most states, the statute of limitations on an auto collision case is two or three years.

What I'm not sure of, is whether you should be doing this in small claims court on your own.  These types of accident cases often come down to credibility and witnesses, and that is the sort of thing where a lawyer's skill and experience can make a very big difference.  To find an attorney near you, one place you can look is our website,

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.