What to do if my daughter was hit by a car yesterday trying to get to a bus stop because she was not able to cross at the intersection since there are no crosswalks?

I would like to hold the people that set this intersection responsible. How do I do that?

Asked on October 22, 2014 under Personal Injury, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

To hold the city, county or state govenment responsible (since they are the ones responsible for roads--it would be whichever one has authority over this intersection), you would need to be able to prove, such as through traffic or road experts, that the intersection, as designed, is unreasonably dangerous. This would involve doing a study and expert report on the intersection, which could be expensive and which may not prove what you want it to prove anyway. Why not simply sue the at-fault driver who struck your daughter? That is a much more straight-forward case. You are advised to consult with a personal injury attorney (many provide a free initial consultation; you can ask about this in advance) about the situation in detail, to evaluate the case and your options.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.