How to handle out of state visitation?

My daughter was conceived in the state in which I currently reside. During the pregnancy, her mother moved to another state where she gave birth. My daughter is now 5 months old. Paternity was established last week. If I am granted joint custody through the courts how will that work since my daughter’s home state is different than mine. I know nothing of family law. If visitation is established how would the courts split the costs of travel?

Asked on September 20, 2012 under Family Law, Missouri


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Given the fact that paternity was established via a court filing and state where your child resides, the court issuing the order has jurisdiction over the child's interests including issues of custody, child support and visitation.

With respect to visitation costs, if the parents can agree as to the terms, then the court will order such. Otherwise, my experience is that the parent having the visitation bears the costs for such.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.