What to do if your license has been suspended due to not fully paying a criminal fine but you need to drive to work in order to be able to continue paying it?

My daughter was charged with posession of stolen goods. She recieved a misdameanor charge in exchange for testifying on who stole the goods and was fined $9,000 for value of stolen goods. She has paid court cost and made payments towards the fine. She is 22 years old and does not have this kind of money and thought making payments was acceptable but has now recieved notice that her driver lisence are being suspended because the fine has not been paid in full. How does she keep her lisence so she can work to pay fine?

Asked on February 22, 2013 under Criminal Law, West Virginia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

What you are asking is if there is a "hardship" exception here. Unfortunately West Virginia does not offer a formal hardship license to allow suspended drivers to drive to and from work or school.  I would speak with her attorney as soon as possible.  Maybe she needs to find an alternative way to pay the fine immediately - such as a loan - to have her license reinstated.  But I would first check with DMV to see how that is done given the offense.  There are strict rules. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.