My daughter was arrested for having a young man offer her a pot pipe…it was very little pot. It was her first night in AZ from CA

She did not have a record.and has not gotten in to any trouble since. Just a dumb mistake on the first night of college. She was 17 and they called me to pick her up because she was a minor. They waited six months before charging her as an adult. Meanwhile she had moved back to CA She changed her address with Maricopa County but never received a letter about a court date. The boy was offered **** testing and diversion classes. His parents were never informed because he was 18. What can we expect?

Asked on July 4, 2009 under Criminal Law, California


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I hope your daughter can prove that she gave Maricopa County her correct address, because that should tend to keep the damage from a failure to appear problem (reading between the lines, here) to a minimum.  And I would hope your daughter can get the same diversion program, although there may be a problem with that given that she's living in California now.

It would be a very good idea to have a lawyer go to court with your daughter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.