What to do if my daughter was arrested for allowing another to break the law?

My 21 year old daughter asked a friend to drive her home because she felt she had too much to drive legally. They were pulled over and the young man who was driving was charged with DUI and she was arrested and charged with “allowing another to break the law”. What do we do from here?

Asked on November 8, 2011 under Criminal Law, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If your daughter has been charged with allowing another person to break the law for driving under the influence of alcohol or a controlled substance, it is best that she immediately retain a criminal defense attorney to represent her.

The charge as to her is a criminal charge where if convicted, she could be fined, be jailed, ordered to attend alcohol related classes and worse yet, have a criminal record. A criminal record could impair her education in college and job opportunities. Good luck to you and her.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.