What to do if my daughter was accused of a crime by a store employee when she was merely trying to purchase a product?

My daughter was accused of a crime by a store employee when she was merely trying to purchase a product. The store doors were locked which is policy ater midnight but the store let costmers in until 1am. She knocked and the employee called the police and said he fely threating that she was going to robb him he went on to involve a ski mask. The police came and searched her car and ran her license, when she had done nothing but try and purchase a product. Should she seek legal help?

Asked on September 18, 2012 under Criminal Law, North Carolina


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You want an attorney for two different reasons.  The first is to try to get the criminal charges shut down before they go much farther, especially considering the nature of the facts that you describe.  These are very serious charges, so the earlier someone helps her the better.  They may even be able to get the charges dropped.

The second reason you want an attorney is in the event that the charges do get dropped, then the attorney can also help with getting the arrest removed from her record.  Even though it's not a conviction, bad arrests still have a way of haunting a young person's record.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.