If my daughter was adopted and just turned 17, what can I do to get her back with me?

She was adopted and the adopted parents kicked her out of their home; she was staying with a friend to finish the school year. Well they come back a month later and have her put in a derention center because she wouldn’t agree to move back in their home.

Asked on January 9, 2013 under Family Law, Louisiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Since you gave up all parental rights with respect to your minor child you essentially cannot do anyhting legally to get your former daughter back. I suggest that you may want to consult with a family law attormey to make sure that the adoption proceedings confirmed to state law. If so, you cannot do anyhting legally for your former child and will have to wait for her to become an adult to make her own decisions.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.