What recourse or rights do I have as a parent if my daughter suffered an eye injury because someone threw a bottle that shattered and the pieces hit her?

She was standing next to a tree and her friend threw a bottle at it but the bottle shattered and a piece flew into my daughter’s eye causing the injury. It required surgery and 13 stitches.

Asked on December 6, 2015 under Personal Injury, Hawaii


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can sue the friend's parents or legal guardians for the economic losses you and your daughter suffered--such as the out-of-pocket (not paid by insurance) medical costs, your last wages, etc.--and *possibly*, if there will long lasting or permanent scarring or other disfigurement/disability, some amount for "pain and suffering." A minor's legal guardians/parents are liable for the injuries that he and she cause either intentionally or through negligence, which is unreasonable carelessness--and throwing a glass bottle at someone would seem to be, at a minimum,  negligent.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.