What to do about my daughter’s mother’s constant phone calls during her visitaion weekends with me?

My daughter’s mother and I share custody of our 6 year old daughter but she is the primary caregiver. Visitation has already been established. She will call my daughter several times a day. Before she would call my phone but since I began ignoring her calls, she bought my daughter a phone. She calls, like I mentioned before, several times and sometimes even tells her stuff like I miss you so much and asks her “are you bored, do you want to come home?” Or she will tell her all the fun things they are doing and then my daughter will turn around and tell me she wants to go home. This past weekend I turned the ringer off. Is there anything I can legally do about this?

Asked on January 13, 2013 under Family Law, Texas


Kristina Combs / The Law Firm of Kristina L. Combs, PLLC

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you have an existing court order regarding custody and visitation, depending on what it states, you may be able to file for contempt. If it does not have a clause in the existing order that will allow you to file for contempt or enforcement, you may need to seek advice from an attorney to see if you can file for a modification of the existing order to include a clause that will prevent the mother from constantly calling your daughter during your visitation with her. It will all depend on what your existing court order states.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.